Fan Dance Float
|BATIK is one of the oldest art forms - samples have been found in Egyptian mural paintings from at least 2500 B.C.
Cotton material is used as canvas on which the pencil drawing is done. Alternating layers of wax and dye are added to completion. The wax is painted on with fine brushes and the fabric is submerged in dye. The wax is removed by ironing between paper.
The batik paintings by Ms. Mills are created with this exacting process. The knowledge of what to expect, as a result of many years of combining various dyes, provides for harmonious compositions in the batiks.
Ms. Mills' early batik consisted of simple designs. As a result of many years of intense persistence of mastering the art, her style has emerged into a more intricate one.
Landscapes are prominent in her batiks, sometimes including people and events that she has personally experienced.
Colors are limited in the batik process and emerge through the representation of trees, mountains, rivers, and buildings as far as the monochromatic nature of the batik medium allows.
Ms. Mills has utilized this ancient form to depict contemporary ordinary life. Her ability to capture the intrinsic essence of the moment is what constitutes her basic style
Ms. Mills is recipient of many awards for her batiks.
Most recently she has won:
Most recently, the batiks have been shown at:
- Honorable Mention - National Assoc. Women Artists 'Shelter' Exhibit, NYC, 2018
- 2nd - Adams County Arts Council Annual, Gettysburg College, 2017
- Honorable Mention - Monmouth Museum Annual, New Jersey, 2016
- Best in Show - Pocono Arts Council Annual Members Exhibit
- First Place - Fine Arts Fiesta, Wilkes-Barre, Pa.
- Second Place - River Renaissance Center for the Arts "Seascapes" Competition, Millville, New Jersey
- Rockaway Arts Alliance, NY, Art Splash, (September, 2018)
- Brooklyn Waterfront Arts Association, Wide Open, (June, 2018)
- Atlantic Gallery, Chelsea, NYC, Who Am I? (July, 2018)
- Ann Marie Sculpture Gardens, Dowell, Md., Big Fun, (February, 2018)
- Antoine Dutot Museum, Delaware Water Gap, SOLO, (August, 2017)
- Jefferson Market Library, Urb Expo, (May, 2017)
- Kimmel Center Gallery in Stoval, New York University, SOLO, (September, 2016)
- Endless Mountains Council of the Arts, Tunkhannock, Pa., SOLO, (2015)
- MY BATIK Publication
– article by Lenore Fiore Mills
- Pleiades Gallery Solo Exhibit
530 W, 25th St., NY, NY
- Bread and Roses Cultural Project,
SEIU 1199, 310 W. 43rd St., NYC
(August , 2010)
- Pleiades Gallery, NYC
October 5 to October 30, 2010
- Artspace, Stroudsburg, PA
- Pen and Brush, Inc.
16 E. 10th, NYC
- 440 Gallery, 440 6th Ave, Brooklyn, NY
- Pleiades Gallery, Chelsea
September 30 to October 25, 2008
- Davinci Art Alliance, Philadelphia, PA
- Pleiades Gallery-Chelsea
- Amsterdam-Whitney Gallery, Chelsea, NYC
- MacDonald Gallery, College Misericordia, Dallas, Pa.
- Photo District Gallery, 37 W. 20th St., NYC
- Galeria West, Westfield, NJ
- L'Atelier Gallery and Framing, 319 Bleecker St., NYC
- Stephen Gang's Gallery Alexie, 529 W. 20th St., NYC
- Publication-Pennsylvania Guild of Craftsmen Calendar